Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Renovate Brooklyn! Day Ten: A Little During-Dinner Design...

Tonight we're going to attack the newly hung drywall with relentless coats of spackle until all of our seams and screw holes are nothing but a distant memory. More specifically, John is going to start Round One of the attacking while I prepare dinner, hopefully it will dry while we're eating, and then we can tackle it again together, Round Two tag-team style.

So while John is toiling away in the living room, I'll fill you in on our dinner plans... I'm currently going through a hard-core cauliflower kick, so we're roasting cauliflower along with a diced sweet potato, a little red onion and a par-boiled head of broccoli. This is the first time I've made this concoction, so I will report back on its success.  Accompanying the vegetable medley is a petite pork tenderloin, which I've marinated in a mixture my mom calls "Chinese Barbecue Sauce"-  a combination of soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, and a healthy splash of red food coloring which stains everything within a 5 mile radius a luminous blood red.

It came to my attention that if this After-Dinner Design was going to succeed, we needed to spend a little less time cooking and a little more time designing and then like a lightning strike: the marinade! Cobbled together while my eyes were still mostly closed early this morning, it had all day to sit and ponder its eventual deliciousness... Then homeward we came. Hungry and tired, and ready to... put up a wall. What better time to stick a fully saturated pork tenderloin in the oven and call it dinner?

In the photos at left, you can see our dinner pending and John in the background putting the finishing touches on Round One.

To make the Chinese Barbecue Pork Tenderloin: Serves 6-8
3 pork tenderloins        2 T. honey
1/2 c. soy sauce          4 T. red food coloring
3 T. white wine            1/2 t. cinnamon
2 T. brown sugar

 Mix all ingredients and then marinate tenderloin in sauce for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and then roast for 45 minutes. Turn and baste frequently and keep a close eye on it or the sauce will burn.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dinner behind us, we are about to move onto Round Two in the living room. The pork was delish and the roasted veggies were great- man! I love cauliflower! I have a sneaking suspicion that John is going to do most of the remaining work tonight and I'm going to take the dog for a walk. Talk about team work.

Until Tomorrow Night... Bonne soirée!

1 comment:

  1. Greetings! Good luck with your apartment. I'll bet you will do a fantastic job. I am from Greenpoint, now living in CT. I miss the city!
    I found you through the http://greenpointers.blogspot.com/ -- they had a nice post on you. And thanks for that recipe, I copied it to try it!
    Best,
    Gloria
    P.S. I also became your newest Follower.

    ReplyDelete