At long last, we have finished the primary renovation of the kitchen! Holy sh--, did that take forever! I don't know what it was about this project that somehow felt even more disruptive than the renovation of the living room, but let me just say: It did.
There are still many more details to come-- the repainting of the kitchen cabinets, replacing the existing cabinet hardware (and possibly down the pike: Replacing the kitchen counter altogether?) but I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize, one accomplishment at a time here, or I might as well just throw in the towel now, the to-do list is still so long!
To recap, for those who don't remember:
John & I had a hole in our kitchen ceiling that revealed a pressed tin-ceiling preserved above our existing dropped dry-wall ceiling. We hemmed, hawed (literally talked about doing it for 3 years) and then pulled the whole dry-walled dropped ceiling down. Pulling it down exposed a fantastic "Delicate Daisies" tin-ceiling, in surprisingly good shape, with the exception of a couple of chasm-sized holes where the ceiling met the walls. (In particular, there was one area where we could actually see inside the building. I mean INSIDE THE BUILDING.) It also revealed A LOT of plaster work to repair the walls where the old ceiling met the walls, which sent John into a plastering, spackling, sanding tail-spin that felt like it might never end... Until it finally did!
And because I'm OCD/ridiculous, I decided this would be the perfect moment to repaint the entire room, which is what we've spent the last two days doing. Trans-form-ative!