Sunday, April 15, 2012

A "LUCKY" Inspiration...

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I was reading "Lucky Magazine" last week (in my defense, I was on a treadmill, so this isn't what I was doing with my non-existent spare time) but in Lucky's defense, I also came upon a terrific piece about organizing and beautifying your closets that I found both inspired and inspiring. And best of all, my favorite idea was also a cheap one! Please take note: that might be the first time those words have ever been written. This is a big day for the D-I-Y world. 



John and I are planning to tackle some major apartment-overhaul projects in early May, and one portion of that will be reorganizing our existing closet arrangement to make a better use of the floor space and ceiling height of the new "closet area". The plan is to construct a wall in our existing guest room (lovingly known currently as "The Room We Walk Through" because we use the room primarily as a grand hallway to get to our bedroom) dividing it into two separate spaces: another small bedroom and a more narrow, defined hallway with a wall of closets running along one side. We'd initially thought we'd use something like the built-in looking closets shown below, also from IKEA... but I'm really liking the prospect of having an open closet for some pretty display, with folded sweaters and shoes on show like the picture from Lucky suggests. That arrangement includes a $375.00 Hemnes cabinet from IKEA, which I'd probably do in the white finish instead of the more funky grey finish shown above...


Of course the question being, do I really have the motivation and organization to keep that looking like "pretty display" or will everything go to pot and be a motley disarray of toppled shoes and crumpled sweaters a week after we install them? Possibly, but I'm entertaining the idea for now, and then we'll make a final decision at showtime...

No comments:

Post a Comment