Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Major Delay... In Blogging.

You wouldn't believe how busy we are right now, but it isn't that we aren't getting our home-improvement projects accomplished. It's just that we're so busy doing them that I haven't had time to write about them. I know, I know. The whole idea behind a blog is to chronicle our progress, but we've got a serious deadline here people, 4 weeks and counting, and I just can't keep mincing around when there are TWO nurseries to be assembled, a living room floor to be painted, closets that require some tweaking, baby shower thank you cards to be written, ACTUAL PAYING JOBS to do, and god only knows what awaits us once this baby arrives!! I've got so many balls to JUGGLE, people, there's no time to WRITE!! (Can you hear the panic in my voice???)

Luckily, my dear and beloved friend Julia has chimed in just in the nick of time, and is going to be "guest posting" for the next couple of days, bestowing upon us all some tried and true recipes she has recently whipped up.

The first incorporates the bacon jam Mummy made right before she left, described in detail in last Thursday's posting. I surprised Julia with a jar of the delectable condiment and this is what she conjured up to go along with it. Here goes... and a big thank you to Julia for saving my bacon with these guest posts! (And I promise I'll be back later this week with lots of updates...) Thanks for everybody's patience...

Bacon Jam, Goat Cheese, and Arugula Omelette Dinner:

Lately the egg has become a staple of my evening meal; its fast, filling and versatile nature has entranced me; particularly because I'm cooking for only myself, meat can seem like a chore but a vegetarian meal often leaves me unfulfilled.  So when Christina nicely surprised me with a jar of her mother's homemade bacon jam, I knew an omelet was in my future. 

I took Christina's suggestion to add a dollop of goat cheese to the omelette, and after tasting the delicious bacon jam, I sought out a cheese that had an earthy tone to help balance out the sweetness of the jam.

Here is a quick and easy meal that takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, assuming you... 

A. Have an amazing friend that leaves bacon jam in your fridge 
B. Can buy bacon jam or substitute dried Spanish Chorizo in place of the jam... 

I'm going to say either way you win.

For this dish, you'll want: 

A hand full of arugula
¼ of tomato chopped
2 eggs, the more fresh, the better
3-4 tablespoons of soft goat cheese
1 knob of butter for cooking
Salt, pepper, thyme – season to taste

Cooking Instructions: 
  • Furiously whisk two eggs in a bowl. While whisking, heat butter in a pan over medium heat. 
  • Once the butter is melted, pour eggs into the pan, and gently "swirl" the pan to evenly coat the bottom of the pan with the egg mixture. Try not to let the eggs brown as they cook. 
  • As the bottom begins to solidify, gently lift the edge of the cooked egg and allow the runny, un-cooked portion of the egg mixture to flow underneath the cooked area. 
  • Once the egg is almost completely cooked, add the filling of your choice in a line down the center of your pan (in my case, a couple of big tablespoons of soft, spreadable goat cheese and a nice drizzling of bacon jam-- delish!) 
  • Gently fold each side of the cooked egg over, so that you are creating a "burrito" shape. This will take some practice and will likely result in many unattractive but equally delicious omelettes. Don't worry about aesthetics-- nobody's first omelette is a masterpiece! 
  • Slide out of the pan, and top with a little arugula, the chopped tomato, season with salt, pepper, and a little fresh thyme if you're so inclined, and maybe add a little garnish of goat cheese and bacon jam to impress yourself or your friends. : ) 
Now eat and enjoy! It's that EASY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment