Sunday, June 9, 2013

Farmhouse Renovation Day Four: A Triumphant Tale of Brooklyn Salvage!

A few weeks ago, John and I were scheduled to meet up at the park with some other parents for a good old-fashioned swing-and-play. En route, we happened to saunter by the now defunct Park Lunchonette in Williamsburg, which was in the midst of being demo-ed for its next life as yet another restaurant. The contractor caught us eyeing up a pair of nice wood-framed glass exterior doors that had already been removed from the restaurant, and yelled that we could take them if we wanted.

However, we had a date with the swings, so I fluttered my eyelashes and smiled my award-winning smile (HAR-DEE-HAR) and convinced him to hang onto them for us until after we'd had our day in the park. A few hours later, John and I rolled up with our trusty station wagon, strapped the doors on top, and zipped off into the Brooklyn sunset.

Success!

Now, just a few weeks later, we're gearing up to install those very doors into the exterior kitchen wall of our ridiculous farm house.

We've decided to "farm this one out" (HA!) because exterior door installation is not for the faint of heart, and as we're rapidly discovering, properly insulating your house isn't either. Cutting a giant hole in the side of our house seems like an opportune place to bungle that up, so we thought this was a place for the professionals.

The carpenter, a seemingly lovely guy named John, is set to begin the installation tomorrow, and we're all a-twitter with excitement. Okay, I am. John doesn't really go "all-a-twitter."

Next question: Does the "Park Luncheonette" logo stay or go? I say "Go! Too cute." However, I'm getting a lot of "Stay! Awesome detail." from the peanut gallery. To be determined.

They don't live here, after all. : )

2 comments:

  1. Keep it...You can always scrape it off later once the novelty wears off. I liked the "established 1931" part. Maybe just keep that portion and have some talented sign painter change it to
    "[whatever your farm name is]"
    "Re-established 2013"
    Fifty years from now you'll look at that fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a piece of history! So I join the peanut gallery and say: Keep it. If it really bugs you after a few months, then get rid of it, but I wouldn't be too hasty to remove such a fun detail. (I think it's "fun" rather than "cute".)

    ReplyDelete