Monday, March 23, 2015

Baked Goods To Live By...

I'm whipping up a batch of these Lavender-Lemon cookies today, mainly because I've got a whole lot of lavender left over from the Lavender Puddings I made a few weeks ago, but also because I'm on the hook for a playdate tomorrow morning, and I can't rightly show up empty-handed. For shame!

I think I'm going to make them with a mixture of whole-wheat and regular flour because I really love gritty-grainy cookies. Apparently you can substitute 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of regular flour (though there appears to be some debate about outcome), so there's an opportunity for a little experimentation here, which is always fun/occasionally disappointing...

I'll report back. 

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-pu
rpose flour .5625 cup wheat flour 
1/2 cup almond flour (Can you believe I actually just have this in my pantry?!?) 
2 tablespoons arrowroot
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon dried lavender
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, chilled
1 large lemon, zested
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Directions:

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a food processor, pulse together the flours, arrowroot, sugar, lavender, salt and baking soda.

Add the butter and lemon zest. Pulse until the mixture forms a coarse meal. Add the honey and lemon juice. Pulse until the mixture forms a soft dough. Form the dough into 1-inch round balls and press into discs, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light brown around the edges, 9 to 11 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely, about 15 minutes.


Oh wait-- I've also got a P.S. 

Unrelated, except that it also involves baked goods: John made homemade banana bread over the weekend, and my mother-in-law suggested making it into french toast (aka. soaking it in egg and milk and frying it.) Holy-hotdogs! It's like eating crack for breakfast. It's so delicious that I'm considering serving it with ice cream for dessert at my next dinner party. Yum, yum, yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment