Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Success! With IKEA to thank...


Believe it or not, we took Julian on his first big field trip this past weekend, to IKEA of all places. We went first thing Sunday morning, when it was virtually empty (by insane scandinavian box store standards) and zipped through with print ups of the exact frames/sizes we were looking for... Remind me to always go to IKEA this well prepared! Is it possible that my hatred of that place stems not from their ridiculous disorganization, but from my own??? WHOA.

Regardless... we zoomed right through without event, picking up a bundle of their OGBY and RIBBA frames, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Seriously, this experience has really redeemed IKEA in my eyes... FINALLY something they really are good at making, not just cheap at making!  



We bought the RIBBA frames in black for the french alphabet poster (now hanging in the hallway), in white for the curli-cue numbers print, and little white 8" X 10" versions for the embroidered fox cards too...


Even better are the OGBY frames, which we bought for the "Brooklyn" screen print, the "Oh Happy Day" print, and the Bold & Noble "New York City" map print. I elected to do a couple of each style of frame because there's such a lot of art work in the nursery, and I didn't want it to feel too "one note", like I raided the OBGY frame section of IKEA. A little variety makes it seem a little more organic in my eyes.


The big frames were each about $25.00, the smaller ones $4.99, so in total, we managed to frame 4 big poster-sized prints, three little fox cards, and the 8.5" X 11" "Un, Deux, Trois" print for about $140.00. Considering I was seriously thinking about bringing everything to be professionally framed, I'm thinking this clocks in at about $500.00 in savings, minimum. I was totally impressed by the selection of frames at IKEA, both in terms of size and style, and would like to revise my original opinion on IKEA: I do not hate their frame section.

That's the best I can do for now... : ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment