Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Fill in the blanks...

 So yesterday I mentioned these "fantastic gooseneck sconces" that I just picked up for our canopy-bedroom, but I didn't really expand beyond that...

Here's the scoop: I stopped by the Build-It-Green in Gowanus yesterday afternoon to have a quick poke around, (because sometimes you don't know you need a 4-person copper bath-tub until it's staring you in the face) and happened to stumble upon something else that I just couldn't leave behind...

What do you know?!? It was a pair of gorgeous antique goose-neck sconces. These beauties are solid brass, apparently handmade, and have lovely, intact milk-glass shades on them. They appeared to be unpriced so I apprehensively brought them up to the desk and crossed my fingers. The thing that's tricky about Build-It-Green is sometimes things are, "WHAT?!?!?" expensive. Considering everything in there is donated, you're kind of like, "Really? You got that for free. You're going to charge me FIVE-HUNDRED DOLLARS???" Which I realize is probably a rather simplistic evaluation of their situation. I mean, I know they have to pay rent, and their staff, and so on... Ok, ok, ok. They're running a business too, you're not wrong, but sometimes it feels like you're just shopping in a really drafty. really large, kind of dirty antique store. But then-- sometimes you find a gem, and it makes it all worthwhile.

So there I stood with bated breath-- waiting to find out how much these lovely lamps cost. The woman at the desk says, rather dismayingly, $120.00 each. EACH. I nearly fell over. I'm not usually in the habit of buying $120.00 lamps, lemme tell ya. But then the guy next to her said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa. $120.00? Those are antique, hand-made brass sconces with their original milk glass. We got those out of a Park Avenue townhouse. They're $250.00 a sconce. No less." Two-fifty! I gulped. And said, "Oh man. The price is going up and up and up before my very eyes..." The woman looked down at me, at my crest-fallen face, and took mercy on me. She said, "Look. I'll give 'em to you for $120.00 since that's what I said. But you're getting the deal of a lifetime. " And then before I knew it, I was paying $240.00 for two sconces. It's possible those freaking lights are going to be the two most expensive purchases we've made for our entire farmhouse. I mean-- it's pretty much just them and the dishwasher. They better look freaking awesome once they're up, I'll you what.

No comments:

Post a Comment