Saturday, March 7, 2015

Latest Recipe: Key Lime Pie with a Pretzel Crust

Yep. This was made on a dare. Someone said "That would be good." Someone said, "Can't be done." And then someone (me) said, "Gauntlet thrown. It shall be done."

And so yesterday I made a Key Lime Pie with a Pretzel Crust, essentially following a typical key lime pie recipe, but substituting pretzel sticks for graham crackers. And here are the results:


a.) decidedly delicious.

b.) tastes almost exactly like regular Key Lime Pie.

c.) I think I should have used skinny pretzel sticks or curly pretzels instead of chubby pretzel sticks, to get more of the salt and crunchiness and less of the bread-i-ness.

d.) less sugar would make the pretzel flavor more pronounced.



I'm gonna try this baby again, minus the sugar, in personal-pan-tart pans to see how that shakes out. However I'm going to wait until next week when we have friends over for dinner so I don't have to eat three miniature key lime pies by myself.

*Note: One other change I made to this recipe: I put the whole pie into a fluted tart pan with a removable bottom instead of a regular 9" pie pan. This is a little bit of a hassle-- it takes a little bit of patience to get your pretzel crust out of the pan form-- but as long as you spray the pan thoroughly before you press your crust in place, and you let it cool completely before you remove it from the form, it should come out fairly easily. The reason I did this is because I really think the tart-shape and  fluted edge elevate this pie from ordinary to elegant. And why wouldn't you want this delicious pie to look as good as it tastes?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment