Monday, November 30, 2015

No "after" photos yet.

I wish I had "after" photos to post, but I decided to send in the last chapters of my book tonight instead! Man... this one was down to the wire. My "written portion" deadline was (tonight) November 30th, and right around 7:30pm, I sent over my last required chapter. Procrastinating has always been a signature move of mine, but wow--- I really put this off to the last possible second.

Of course, I also happened to mention two more little chapters I'd like to add, which I'm going to try to write tomorrow morning, because "masochistic over-achiever" is another one of my signature moves.

So, I'm going to bed in like-- ten minutes-- because I've got to get up at the crack of dawn to write these other segments, but I also promised a couple of Thanksgiving/everyday recipes, so let's start with one that's bright, light, and lemon-y, that you could make tomorrow and not feel like you're already eating Thanksgiving food again, because, let's be honest, we all need a break.

Wild Rice Salad with Brussels Sprouts

-2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
-3 cups shredded brussels sprouts
-zest and juice of one lemon
-1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
-1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
-salt and pepper, to taste
-1 cup dry wild rice blend, cooked according to package instructions and cooled (should yield 2 cups cooked rice)
-1/4 cup pine nuts (or chopped almonds)

1) In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the brussels sprouts and use tongs to toss the sprouts around, coating them in the oil. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the sprouts begin to wilt. Then uncover and sauté, tossing frequently, until the leaves have browned slightly, 3-5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
2) Make the lemon-caper dressing: in a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest and juice, capers, mustard, salt and pepper. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and mix well.
3) Pour the dressing over the cooled brussels sprouts, then stir in the cooked wild rice. Toss to mix completely.
4) Toast the pine nuts: in a clean, dry skillet on medium-low heat, cook the pine nuts in an even layer, stirring occasionally, until the nuts are golden brown. Toss the toasted pine nuts on top of the wild rice salad and serve.

I'll try to get around to "after" photos tomorrow, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment