Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dinner on Monday Night?

You should know, this posting will probably elicit an angry email from my brother. He and I made a life-pact when we were little that we would always hate parsnips, turnips, and pickles, and until today, I have never strayed from that oath. But I just found this recipe in Dwell Magazine (who knew they started cooking over at Dwell?) and I'm pretty freckin' sure that this soup is going to be awe-some, so I guess I'm going to turn in my anti-turnip membership badge. Sorry Richard. : ) I mean, look at that photo. Mmmmmm....
Pear-Parsnip Soup:
Ingredients:
  •  1 tsp. canola oil
  •  1 clove garlic, minced
  •  1 medium onion, roughly chopped
  •  1 pound parsnips, roughly chopped
  •  1 medium potato, roughly chopped
  •  2 quarts vegetable stock
  •  1 bay leaf
  •  1 sprig fresh thyme, finely chopped
  •  ½ pound pears, unpeeled, cored, roughly chopped
  •  ½ cup half-and-half (optional)
  •  Salt and sugar to taste
  •  Splash of white-wine vinegar
Cooking Method:
  1. Heat a soup pot on medium-high heat.
  2. Add canola oil, garlic, and onion. Sweat for 10 minutes (be sure not to brown the vegetables).
  3. Add parsnips, potato, vegetable stock, bay leaf, and thyme. Simmer about 10 minutes.
  4. Add pears and half-and-half and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
  5. Remove the bay leaf and blend soup until super-smooth.
  6. Season to taste with salt, sugar, and vinegar.
Read this recipe directly from Dwell Magazine here: http://www.dwell.com/articles/sert-du-soleil.html


I haven't made this yet-- but I will report back on Monday night! I have high hopes, despite its traitorous main ingredient. 


*The good news: I still really hate pickles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment