Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Gorgeous Summer Salad...

I am refusing to believe that summer has officially ended, and have decided instead to go by the astronomical definition of summer, which says that summer comes to a close on September 21st... Now that I've just gained myself extra 3 weeks of summer, I'll put my big straw hat and white linen pants back on, and plan another stint of rest and relaxation.

Yeah-- that's not going to happen...

I'm spending most of my days hiking around Williamsburg with Julian strapped to my front, and if I'm not doing that, I'm trying to grab a couple of minutes of sleep to make up for the many lost hours I've been donating to Julian's cause... : ) Not exactly restful, but Mummy's been whipping up one great meal after another, which has made things a bit more relaxed.


Most recently, we took this recipe for a spin, and I was a major fan! Mummy found the recipe in a cookbook I had hiding on our bookshelf: "Tossed" by Jane Lawton. I have to confess, I haven't used it many times, so I can't swear by the book, but the recipe we tried was a total hit and that's a solid first review...

Cannellini Bean Salad with Fennel & Tuna:

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 c. dried cannellini beans
1 large garlic clove
2 c. green beans
2 fresh bay leaves
1 baby fennel bulb thinly sliced
1/4-1/2 red onion, finely sliced
1 handful of parsley leaves, chopped
1 T. olive oil
10 oz. fresh tuna steak 

*We happen to love this fancy pants tuna we buy at our local grocer. It is more expensive than regular canned tuna, but 10 X more delicious, and considerably cheaper than fresh tuna steak, and half the work to prepare. Can't say enough about Tonnino tuna

Lemon & Chili Dressing Ingredients:

3 T. lemon juice
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 red chili, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 t. sugar
1 T. lemon zest
4 T. olive oil 

DIRECTIONS:

1.) Put the cannellini beans in a bowl, cover w/ cold water, and soak overnight, or for at least 8 hours. Rinse the beans well and put them in a large pot. Cover with plenty of cold water, add the bay leaves and garlic, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Drain. (Alternatively, you can use a 15 oz. can of cannellini beans instead of dried beans. Leave out the first step and just rinse/drain the can of beans before adding them to the salad.) 

2.) Bring another pot of water to a boil and add the green beans. Blanch until just tender, approx. 2-3 minutes. Drain and then rinse under cold water. Gently toss in a serving bowl with the fennel, red onion, and parsley. 

2.) Heat the oil in a large, heavy frying pan and cook the tuna steaks over high heat for 2 minutes on each side-- they should still be pink in the center. Remove from the pan and let sit for 2-3 minutes. (If you're using the tonnino tuna, you can skip this step too...)

3.) Whisk together the lemon-chili dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. Season w/ salt & pepper. 

4.) Cut the tuna steaks into 1 1/4" chunks, and then add the cannellini beans and tuna to the green bean mixture, pour the dressing over the mixture, and then gently toss to combine. 

Serves 4

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy and am going to put it on my list to try. We're heading into spring and summer here so salads will be on the menu often. Won't be able to find either the fancy tuna or fresh tuna steaks where we live, but I'll try it with plain canned tuna in water.

    So glad your little guy allows you to eat the good food you've been sharing recipes for on the blog. My son was colicky and I had to eat very plain, unseasoned food for a long time so as to not upset his tummy.

    ReplyDelete