Thursday, June 25, 2015

But wait! There's more!



Since I wrote that last post, I've been a manic beaver of productivity, and have peer-pressured much of my family into a similar state. 

Come. Join me... Wouldn't you rather be wallpapering...? Why aren't you holding a nail gun...? 

Yeah. I'm great to have around. A blast at parties... 


So last weekend I charged full-steam ahead, and with the help of my mom, managed to get our staircase wallpapered! Just to refresh your memory-- this is William Morris wallpaper (the Marigold pattern, color way: Brick. Swoon!) which I bought on Craig's List for, I think, $200.00. I'm embarrassed to say that I bought this wallpaper SO long ago that I don't remember what I paid for it-- either 200 bucks or three hundred; but either way, this stuff usually retails for $300/roll, and I paid something similar for four and a half tools of it. Which it turns out-- is EXACTLY how much wallpaper you need to paper my staircase. 

AWESOME. 

Okay. Don't bust my chops. It's actually slightly more than the amount I needed, but that's not really the point. The main point here is that I didn't have to buy more, and it looks totally stunning now. 

                

I should probably mention that wallpapering a staircase without the appropriate tools (Adjustable leg ladder. Plank. Stilts. Super tall friend.) is an unequivocal misery. And I definitely used John's body as a plank a couple of times-- where I essentially leaned into the stairwell and he pushed against me to keep me from falling down the stairs as I reached those "impossible to reach" corners. If I was just a few inches taller, this would have been considerably easier. If I was a few inches shorter, I'm pretty sure this would have been entirely impossible. I even hunted around for a pair of high heels, thinking those could give me the extra height I needed. What a sight that would have been-- but sadly-- I don't appear to do a lot of dressing up upstate. The best I could find was a pair of thick-soled Hunter boots. 

Not the same. 

But when all is said and done, my family is still speaking to me, the wallpaper looks amaze-balls, and I feel decidedly triumphant that we managed to slay that project in just one weekend. Victory!! 


                   

No comments:

Post a Comment